Polraen Hotel aims to be a sustainable tourism business: environmentally aware, seeking ways to reduce our carbon footprint and to run our hotel without generating the potential for harmful consequences from tourism. In turn we encourage our guests to enjoy their holiday in Cornwall considerate of the impact they may have on the local heritage, culture, community and the environment. We adopt recycling and apply housekeeping routines and make purchasing decisions which reflect care and consideration for our environment. So what does this mean?
- We operate a towel change policy minimising unnecessary use of water, electricity and detergents
- Our bathroom toiletries are dispensed in ecopumps which are less wasteful, don’t block pipes and use less packaging
- Our loo paper is made from recycled paper sources
- If your bedroom lights are slow to generate a really bright light, it’s because they are low energy
- We encourage guests to turn bedroom radiators down and turn lights off when not in your room
- We encourage guests to explore locally using the public bus and Looe Valley train services which run close by saving on petrol
- We have been awarded the ‘Green Acorn Award’ by the South East Cornwall Tourism Association, which recognises the improvements we have made to reduce the impact of our business and our guests on the environment.
- We are members of Coast – a Cornish based ‘one planet tourism network.
- We have participated in the Green Foundation Course at the Eden Project.
- We are on the Steering Group for the Looe Marine Conservation Group, a group of local volunteers closely linked to the Cornwall Wildlife Trust, and will be delighted to help you discover the many highlights of Looe’s rich marine heritage at a range of mostly free events.
We hope you will support us in our efforts to protect this beautiful county of Cornwall, to ensure that its natural assets, ways of life and cultural heritage continue as a legacy for the enjoyment of future generations.