One-stop shop on everything Covid related!
- As of January 6, Cornwall along with the rest of England is now back in full lockdown.
- We have closed rooms until March when, subject to government guidance, we hope to offer spring breaks.
- Reservatons can be made by phone 01503 263956 or online for arrival dates beyond March 1st.
- All drect bookings benefit from our Flexible Reservation Policy (see below).
We fully understand that we now live in a different world, and that our guests will want the reassurance of knowing what we are doing to ensure the safety and hygiene of our establishment. We know everyone also has their own subjective opinion about the virus, but it is clear we have to take the risk very seriously. We have submitted risk assessments and received approval from both Visit England and the AA to operate as a Covid secure establishment.
We’ve developed robust Covid-19 hygiene protocols, reviewed our services and facilities and revised some practices to reduce face to face contact with our guests. This of course is a somewhat alien concept for us, especially since our reputation has been built on the tradition of warm family-run hospitality. However, the safety of our guests and staff remains paramount as we strive to ensure Polraen remains a wonderfully stress-free relaxing place to stay.
We continue to review our Covid-19 update as required following government guidelines. We’ve put together some useful information to help you book with confidence and make plans for your holiday in Cornwall. We want you to get the most out of your stay with us and really enjoy your holiday. This page includes:
FLEXIBLE RESERVATION POLICY
COVID-19 GUEST INFORMATION SHEET
KEEPING SAFE IN CORNWALL
PLANNING YOUR STAY
1. Flexible Reservations on Direct Bookings
Direct bookings benefit from our Flexible Reservation Policy. This confers more flexible terms in the event of Covid-19 interfering with your plans. We agree to transfer your deposit to alternative dates without penalty, if you need to postpone your stay due to Covid-19. All we ask is that you let us know 8 or more days before the original arrival date. Full Details….. Not only do you get a lower rate for booking direct, but our communication with you is direct, not through a third party. This way, we can exercise a superior level of service, taking into consideration the individual needs of our guests.
2. Covid-19 Update – Guest Information
Our Covid-19 Guest Information Sheet explains revisions to our services and measures designed to protect us all. The lead guest for every booking will receive a copy prior to arrival.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US
- At the current time, we’re operating fewer rooms to afford more space.
- We’ll practice social distancing from guests at all times and wear face coverings.
- Hand sanitiser will be placed in key locations in all common areas of the building.
- We’ve developed a new, more intensive and longer cleaning regime complying with standards for Covid-19. We’ve increased the frequency of cleaning all pubic areas including the identification of frequent ‘touch points’.
- The bar and downstairs toilets will remain closed. You can order bar drinks after 6 pm to be served in the guest lounge or conservatory. They can be taken into the garden.
YOUR BEDROOM IS YOUR BUBBLE:
- Guests staying for 3 nights or less will not have their room serviced to avoid risk of transmission. We’ll only enter your room on request for emergency cleaning and to address a maintenance issue.
- We will leave each room vacant for 24 hours in between guests. We’ve introduced a 72 hour rotation practice for duvets and pillows and removed many decorative soft furnishings.
- On arrival, we’ll share our daily plan to resupply towels, toilet rolls and clean and refresh your beverage tray. You are invited to bring your own toiletries to reduce waste.
- We live on-site and in case of any emergencies, you can contact us at any time via the electronic bell at reception, messaging us or via phone on 01503 263956 or mobile 07939045810
- We’re delighted to answer queries on sightseeing, timetables and help with restaurant reservations – but prefer you to message us or contact us via our official Facebook page.
EATING SAFELY AT POLRAEN:
- The conservatory is open for breakfast and as an evening picnic room. On arrival, a table will be allocated to you for exclusive use during your stay. Anyone particularly vulnerable can pre-book breakfast in another room if preferred.
- Waitress service will observe social distancing and all food will be served at the table.
- Diners are asked to remain seated at all times and parents/guardians asked to ensure any children also respect this rule. It is now required that masks are worn en route from the bedroom to the conservatory.
- No food, crockery, glassware or cutlery is to be taken from the conservatory indoors.
- If a picnic/takeaway is eaten in the conservatory or garden, all items including food packaging and waste are to be placed in bins in the conservatory. Dirty plates etc are to be stacked on your dedicated table for us to clear. We will wash them.
- Check in/check out will be done with social distancing in mind.
- Any outstanding balance will be charged remotely and your invoice sent to you electronically.
WHAT WE EXPECT FROM YOU
- We ask that you wash your hands before leaving your bedroom. Please use the hand gel at reception after breakfast, when leaving internal public areas and every time you re-enter the building.
- We ask you to adhere to social distancing when in public areas. From August 8, new government legislation requires the wearing of face masks in internal public areas within hotels.
- We ask that you try to remain outside the house during housekeeping hours 11am-3 pm
- Help us to run things smoothly whilst maintaining a social distance by cooperating with the changing of towels, emptying of waste bins and refreshment of beverage trays.
- If you or any of your party are contacted by Track and Trace before visiting our premises informing you that you have been in contact with someone with Covid-19, we encourage you to contact us immediately. This way, we can amend your reservation in accordance with our Flexible Reservation Policy.
- If you or anyone in your party are showing symptoms of the Corona virus (high fever, persistent new cough, loss of taste or smell, problems breathing) you must notify us immediately and remain isolated in your room. You will be expected to return home immediately if you can do so safely. If it is not reasonable for you to travel and you have to remain self-isolated on our premises, you will be financially responsible for any extension to your stay. Please see our full Terms and Conditions.
We appreciate your cooperation and understanding.
3. Keeping Safe in Cornwall
Some of Cornwall’s key organisations have produced a handy ‘Keeping Safe in Cornwall’ Information sheet which you may find both helpful and reassuring. It’s been put together by Visit Cornwall, Cornwall Council, Devon & Cornwall Police, the RNLI and the NHS Cornwall Partnership. Lots of good tips plus exactly what to do if the worst happens!
4. Planning Your Stay
Although Cornwall will be as wonderful as ever, you’ll notice some changes, so we want to make sure you make the most of your time here.
Do remember that most restaurants and eateries have reduced capacity to comply with social distancing so require a reservation. Please consider booking at some of these local restaurants. If you no longer need your reservation, please remember to cancel. Sadly – many local restaurants are suffering a lot of no shows at the moment in what is already a challenging trading environment.
Smugglers Cott 01503 262397
Old Sail Loft 01503 262131
Old Sardine Factory Restaurant 01503 770362
The Sea Kitchen 01503 262456
Copley Arms at Hessenford
Local Public Transport
From Polraen Country House at Sandplace, we have an hourly bus service, the lovely Looe Valley Line Train and taxis into town. Please remember you must wear a face covering when travelling on public transport.
Train: An extended summer service now sees the last train to Sandplace leaving Looe at 9.36 pm so you can comfortably eat in Looe of an evening and get back by public transport. However, as services may be amended due to the coronavirus situation, it will always be best to check a train timetable online. Ask for the train to stop at Sandplace (it’s a request stop!)
Bus: We have an hourly service from Liskeard via Sandplace into Looe and on to Polperro on Route Number 73. You can flag the bus down right outside the hotel – stand at the garden gate and on the return, ask them to stop at Polraen. You can download a full timetable from Transport for Cornwall.
Taxis: There is a taxi rank near the bridge in Looe and here are several local taxi companies who will pick up and return to Polraen Country House:
Sightseeing – Plan Ahead
Many of the leading attractions have introduced visiting slots for which you have to book tickets in advance. Put simply, you will need to do more research, planning and pre-booking.
You may find it useful to download the Cornwall App to have access to information on your phone. But before you come, why not take a look at the Best of Cornwall online resources. There are downloads that will give you inspiration on where to visit.
Most importantly, have a great stay, enjoy the relaxing environment at Polraen and let us know if you have any concerns.
Gill and Martin Bridges