Printed on the back of our breakfast menus, our Top Ten Day Trips from Looe have proved so popular with guests staying at Polraen Country House in the Looe Valley that we thought we’d share our recommendations so you can plan ahead.
Cornwall With and Without a Car
Be adventurous! Why not explore Cornwall by car, bus and train. It’s rare to find hotel accommodation in Cornwall in such an idyllic rural location enjoying the convenience of both bus and train services. Our suggestions include days out from Looe with and without the car using Polraen Country House near Looe as a touring base for Cornwall and Devon. At Sandplace in the Looe Valley, Polraen Country House benefits from Bus Route Number 73 – an hourly bus service which honours senior citizen bus passes, and the scenic Looe Valley Line train giving easy access to Looe, Polperro, Liskeard and beyond.
Touring By Car
Without negotiating any narrow back lanes, it’s a direct route from Polraen’s car park to the A38 via Morval on the A387. In less than 10 minutes, you’ll be on a fast road heading east to fantastic beaches at Whitsand, the Rame Peninsula and Devon or west into deeper Cornwall.
Exploring By Looe Valley Line Train
Just a 2 minute stroll to Sandplace Station, guests really appreciate our proximity to the scenic Looe Valley Line. 5 minutes to Looe or use it to connect with the mainline at Liskeard. It’s perfect for day trips by train to St Ives, Falmouth, Truro and Plymouth. Cheap day returns and group/family discounts make the journey easier, faster, and far more relaxing than by car. It’s less costly too (no fuel or parking charges). A year round service Mon-Sat and from May 17, a Sunday service too.
Travelling By Plymouth CityBus 73
Plymouth Citybus 73 runs from Polperro via Looe and Sandplace through the Looe Valley to Liskeard and beyond to Pensilva up on Bodmin Moor. It stops on request right outside the hotel and honours senior citizen bus passes so if you qualify, enjoy ‘free’ trips too. We’re happy to assist with directions, timetables & loan Ordnance Survey maps. New for 2015, a bus service from Liskeard to Padstow, so you can now easily reach the north coast without taking the car!
Top Ten Day Trips from Looe
- Looe to Polperro Cliff top walk (on foot and by bus)
- Eden Project via Bodinnick Ferry and Fowey (by car)
- Lost Gardens of Heligan and the Victorian port of Charlestown (by car)
- Lanhydrock – a gem in the National Trust portfolio of historic houses (by car)
- Days out by train to St Ives, Truro, Falmouth, Penzance, Plymouth (by train)
- Whitsand Bay & the Rame Peninsular – the beaches & villages of Cornwall’s ‘forgotten corner’ (by car)
- North Coast to King Arthur’s Tintagel, Boscastle and Rick Stein’s Padstow (by car)
- The contrast that is Bodmin Moor, granite formations, ghosts and Bodmin Jail (by car or by bus)
- Discover grey seals and amazing wildlife on visit to Looe Island (by bus/train and boat)
- Go on a mackerel or deep sea fishing trip from Looe (by bus/train and boat)
Full details and a print friendly download available here. At Polraen, we know that a little bit of local knowledge can go a long way in making the difference between a good holiday and a great one. We are more than happy to assist you during your stay, with suggestions on things to do, places to visit and how to get there. Why not book your holiday in Looe now?